There are scores of articles and blogs with tips on how to land a job, but very few from recruiters of the companies that many are targeting: Fortune 500 companies. That’s because very few recruiters from these companies write about what they are looking for in candidates.
Now, thanks to Dan Schwabel, an author and writer of the very popular Personal Branding Blog, he has offered on his site a free download of a book by 10 recruiters from his company, EMC Corporation.
“This is the first eBook of it’s kind by Fortune 500 recruiters that gives job seekers an inside look at what it takes to get a job at a large company or any company. It comes at a time when people are desperately trying to get jobs, yet lack the necessary “behind the scenes” information to beat the recruiting process. That has changed as of today!” said Dan.
Here’s a sample of 10 tips from the book:
1. Don’t be negative: The interview process is slow and frustrating. Don’t let this shake you up.
2. Be prepared. Do more research; study the company and the job. Prepare specific examples that can demonstrate your skills and capabilities
3. Use your personal network; let people know what opportunities you are looking for.
4. Treat recruiters and prospective employers with the same courtesy that you expect from them. You may want to pursue another future opportunity with the same people, so leave a good impression.
5. Build a skills inventory: Candidates need to know themselves and then know how to present themselves.
6. Network, network and then network some more!
7. Dress professionally and act professionally. Remember, everything counts!
8. Ask questions. You need to interview the company just as much as they need to interview you!
9. Ensure you are part of your school’s alumni network.
10. Send a thank-you note outlining why you feel you are qualified and ask for the job!
To get the free e-book, you do not need to register or give any information to get it. Says Dan, “I have a very special holiday gift for all of you job seekers out there or friends/family of job seekers. Most of you are probably taking time to rest during Christmas/Chanukah and New Years, but I think the best use of your time is to search for jobs when everyone else isn’t. It’s very similar to launching a major PR campaign during a weekend, when other companies aren’t. It is a proven way to stand out!”
Click here to download the free e-book.
JP McDermott is a financial services and insurance advisor in Walnut Creek, CA. specializing in career transitions. He is also a career and financial coach, a freelance writer on career coaching with SF Examiner.com, and has been volunteering his time and experience to various non-profit, service and civic organizations.
JP lives in Danville with his wife Candy.
Check out his LinkedIn profile http://www.linkedin.com/in/jpmcdermott